The highly anticipated debut album from woman of the moment Cardi B is finally out!!! Her debut song ‘Bodak Yellow’ was arguably one of the hits of 2017. The song allowed the world to see Cardi B in a different light, a legitimate artist, rather than just a character on the TV show “Love and Hip Hop’. This album is one of the best debut rap albums I have heard in a while. The production on each song is incredible and you can tell some real thought and effort when into the making of this album. I will focus on specific songs in due course and I always believe albums should take time to marinate in your ears for at least a week before you can choose the real hits. However, on first listen these are my quick opinions.
- Get up 10 (Intro) . This is such a great introduction to the album and reminds me of the infamous introduction on Meek Mill’s “Dreams and Nighmares’ album. Favourite line: “I was covered in dollars, now I’m drippin’ in jewels”, pretty much sums up Cardi as a whole.
- Drip Ft. Migos. Typical Migos song meaning very hyped and very catchy, Cardi’s verse was good. Only issue is that Cardi was drowned out on her own song. Migos definitely overtook it. Favourite line would have to be every adlib when “Ice” is mentioned.
- Bickenhead. Pure rap. This song really demonstrates Cardi’s rap ability. The song will definitely have you bopping your head. Favourite line: “I’ma flex like a ‘roid, I’m a ten, she a ‘droid”
- Bodak Yellow. Classic. The song that started it all and it is yet to get old. Favourite line: “These expensive, these is red bottoms, these is bloody shoes”….classic!
- Be Careful. This song was released a few days earlier and while many were not expected this direction from Cardi, I welcome the refreshment. Only wish is that a singer such as Dej Loaf was the one singing the chorus. It is nice to see Cardi in a more vulnerable light though and it reminds us that she is human and can be be versatile. Favourite lines: “Thinkin’ I’m flawed because you inconsistent…
It’s gon’ hurt me to hate you, but lovin’ you’s worse”.
- Best Life Ft. Chance the Rapper. One of my favourites on the album. I love the sentiment behind it. Chance as usual adds his own unique signature to it. Favourite line: “I made a couple M’s with my best friends, turned all my L’s into lessons”
- I like it Ft. Bad Bunny & J Balvin . If you are a fan of Reggaeton or latina music, this song will definitely win your hearts. You cannot listen to this song without feeling like you want to salsa or cha-cha! Favourite line: Oh he’s so handsome, what’s his name”. Full review coming soon.
- Ring Ft. Kehlani. This song is enough to get anyone in their feels. Kehlani’s beautiful voice provides the song with a R&B feel. Favourite line: “You gon’ be sick to your, stomach” (more the tone change at that part but will provide a more detailed review in due course)
- Money Bag. Possibly my least favourite on the album because the song sounds extremely similar to ‘Bodak Yellow’ in terms of the flow. This song does have one of my favourite lines though; “I said “Bae, it’s a snack,” he said it’s a entrée”. Haha
- Bartier Cardi Ft. 21 Savage. This song was released as the second single on this album (after Bodak Yellow). The flow on this demonstrates her ability and I believe 21 Savage compliments the vibe of this song so well. Favourite line: “I like hot sauce on my chicken”
- She Bad Ft. YG. I almost didn’t even recognise YG on this song! He sounds very different but I do like this song. Favourite line: “I could buy designer but this Fashion Nova fit”
- I Do Ft. SZA. A very fitting end to the album andI can’t think of anyone else who would do this song justice other than SZA. Favourite line: “My little 15 minutes lasted long as hell, huh”